Friday, January 16, 2009

Philology blog

So I am gathering unto me requirements for degrees from the University of Utah, so I can finally finish off my formal university education lo these long years since it first began (21). Secondaryily to Rubinga's degree which is fine, but in the mean time I am studying for the required classes.
Check it before I wreck it: Major in Comparitive Literature and Cultural Studies, emphasis on Language and Literature, Major in Classical Civilization with emphasis on Latin, and a minor in English.
I would be basically a classicist, like C.S. Lewis, more than a philologist, like J.R.R. Tolkien (the two were great friends), since to study philology at the U. is to study linguistics. But I do love to study word origins. They fall together in my head the way numbers fall together for my accountant mother. So would I, the philologist, stand a better chance at the Krell brain-booster, than my wife, the future Doctor? Please watch the movie Forbidden Planet for an explanation of the last sentence.

1 comment:

x said...

Dude those Krell headsets are big enough for two! We could put our heads together and rule the world!